"I don't think she understood drinking could kill you," her father, Rick Spady, told ABC News' Good Morning America after her death.
Authorities said 19-year-old Samantha Spady, a sophomore at Colorado State majoring in business, died of alcohol poisoning after drinking 30 to 40 beers and vanilla-flavored vodka drinks in an 11-hour period.
The girl was an honors student, former homecoming queen and cheerleader from Beatrice, Neb., someone her mother has described as "the girl next door."
Spady has been traveling the country since her daughter's death, meeting with students and talking about the dangers of alcohol abuse on college campuses.
IWCC dean of student life Kim Henry said, "We set this up because it's a big issue with college students. We thought this would be a good thing for them to hear."
The Spadys hope to help prevent alcohol poisoning deaths and have established a foundation in their daughter's name. The mission of the Sam Spady Foundation is to educate parents and young people on the dangers of alcohol, specifically high-risk consumption, and the signs and symptoms of alcohol poisoning.